Sunday, July 27, 2008

Franz Wright and John O'Donohue

a new arrival, 1 from a litter of 10

Just listened to a very compelling podcast from Speaking of Faith. Irish poet and philosopher, John O'Donohue speaking on beauty and friendship. While talking of beauty, and specifically poetry, he says, "That's the mystery of poetry. That poetry tries to draw alongside the mystery as its emerging and to somehow bring it into presence." He later says, " It's strange to be here (to be alive), the mystery never leaves you." 
Give it a listen. I think you'll like it. 


From a collection of Franz Wright's poems, God's Silence

5. God Here

The uninterruptible
voice, the
silence I now call
my only 
friend

Who says

right about now you might want to stop playing
mad chemist with your brain: return to Me

and I will return


The Fire

Listen, I've light
in my eyes
and on my skin
the warmth of a star, so strange
is this
that I
can barely comprehend it:
I think
I'll lift my face to it, and then
I lift my face,
and don't even know how
this is done. And
everything alive
(and everything's
alive)
is turning
into something else
as at the heart
of some annihilating 
or is it creating
fire
that's burning, unseeably, always
burning at such speeds
as eyes cannot
detect, just try
to observe your own face
growing old
in the mirror, or
is it beginning 
to be born?


No comments: